Western Michigan @ No. 10 Michigan State
Last Season Records: Michigan State 11-2; Western Michigan 8-5
What to Know
The Michigan State Spartans and the Western Michigan Broncos will face off at 7 p.m. ET Sept. 2 at Spartan Stadium to kick off their 2022 seasons. The Spartans ended up 11-2 last season and capped things off with a win over the Pittsburgh Panthers in the Peach Bowl, so they are on the hunt for another strong season. While WMU was not exactly top dog last year, they did wrap up the year with a winning record of 8-5.
A couple defensive numbers to keep in mind before kickoff: MSU was sixth best in the nation in sacks, finishing the 2021 season with 42. The Broncos were completely their equal: they also ranked sixth in the nation in sacks, closing the year with 42 overall. With that kind of ball pressure, don’t be surprised if there are a lot of short passes in this one.
MSU has the odds in their favor, so they’ll need to guard against complacency. These early season matchups can go either way as both teams get back into playing shape.
How To Watch
- When: Friday at 7 p.m. ET
- Where: Spartan Stadium — East Lansing, Michigan
- TV: ESPN
- Live stream the Western Michigan at Michigan State game on fuboTV: Start with a free trial today!
The Spartans are a big 20-point favorite against the Broncos, according to the latest college football odds.
Michigan State have won all of the games they’ve played against Western Michigan in the last eight years.
- Sep 07, 2019 – Michigan State 51 vs. Western Michigan 17
- Sep 09, 2017 – Michigan State 28 vs. Western Michigan 14
- Sep 04, 2015 – Michigan State 37 vs. Western Michigan 24